CIL-NET Presents...an IL Conversation via Teleconference
Getting it Right: Inclusive Disaster Strategies
Shari Myers, Chief Operating Officer, Portlight
Paul Timmons, Disability Integration Coordinator, American Red Cross
March 10, 2016
Transcipt for Inclusive Disaster Strategies
- Learn how to engage with Red Cross, local emergency management agencies, and other important community partners, to ensure inclusion in disaster planning.
- Learn how to identify opportunities to work together for the mutual benefit of all partners, i.e., emergency preparedness education and training, including how to foster participation of people with disabilities in drills and exercises, and training for emergency management on disability culture, the IL movement, and developing disability competency within their profession.
- Understand the importance of encouraging people with disabilities to volunteer, particularly with Red Cross. In addition, how to help volunteer agencies create an environment which welcomes us, and recognizes our value as subject matter experts.
- Discuss ways in which your center can or does promote disaster awareness, or otherwise provide specific education or training on emergency preparedness.
- Identify what other resources or partnerships you currently have for inclusive planning and emergency preparedness education.
Join the conversation via our teleconference line 281.404.1544 using PIN 9558554.
Handouts, Recording, and Transcript
To access the print materials on March 10th, and the audio recording and transcript following the teleconference, log on to http://www.april-rural.org.
To access the CART for this presentation and all future APRIL events visit
https://www.streamtext.net/player?event=APRIL on the day of the presentation.
Please evaluate this teleconference at
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1962518/IL-Conversation-Evaluation. The link is also available on the APRIL website under the IL Conversation tab.
There is NO Registration Fee for this Teleconference. This is not a toll free call and your regular long distance charges will apply.
Please call from a quiet location to join the discussion, or just listen in.
This IL Conversation is presented by the CIL-NET, a national training and technical assistance program of Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU), and was organized and facilitated by APRIL.
"Support is provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living. No official endorsement of the Department of Health and Human Services should be inferred. The CIL-NET is a part of the IL-NET national training and technical assistance project (90TT0001-02-00) for centers for independent living and statewide independent living councils."
IL Conversations originated with the University of Arkansas, CURRENTS.
For more information contact:
APRIL Director of Training and Technical Assistance
APRIL and the IL-NET
52 Corbin Hall
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59801